Monday, December 29, 2008

Time lines of change

I was always taken to those weddings and social get-togethers where my parents were invited. I would not be having my friends and at times no children in the party. My Big B could avoid it by simply saying a no, and he being a big boy could stay alone.

I liked to dress up. Wear those new frocks my aunt would have sent from America. To comb my short thin hair and put 2 red bow shaped clips on both sides. Putting a red bindi and lots of powder on my face. 

I enjoyed the attention the uncles and aunties would give me. "Which class are you in?" "Which school?" "Oh, you have grown tall. I knew you when you were just six months old."

I loved people. Simply liked to be part of a bustling crowd, liked to be known, seen, heard by all. I would sing without hesitation. And accept the adulation and praise without a question.

And here I am today. Wearing a t-shirt which says "The more people i meet, the more i love my dog".

Cynical. Trying to see the words through different layered lenses. That guy is such a chauvinist creature. She speaks words she has no understanding of. Do not believe those words, it is only a way to sweet talk.

The trust, the simple joy of having people around you lost somewhere. From birthdays with the whole class being invited to a birthday spent quietly with a select few. From going home for holidays and spending time with the zillion of relatives to spending it alone with myself.

2 comments:

  1. "Growing up" - is that the term? :D

    But it's not half as bad when you know you have people around you whom you wouldn't judge and can trust.

    You wouldn't care if they speak crap and would know for sure that it isn't just sweet talk...

    ...I am fortunate that I know I have such people around. And a good number of them. And if you give it a thought, I'm sure you'd know your set too :)

    Aur kya chahiye?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...then i guess i did not want to grow up!! :)

    But yes, i get your point...and that is why i am happy :)

    ReplyDelete