Tuesday, December 28, 2010

In another world. On another day.

Someone I have known for years, probably for the longest period of my conscious life, told me this: "There are lives we wish we lived and we don't".

Like a move in the game of chess. You choose your move anticipating a certain response from your opponent. You also try to anticipate a number of subsequent moves by both of you and imagine a few scenarios. Sometimes you don't make a move, because you don't think it's worth it, or you think you are gonna lose much more than gain from it. You plod on. The board seems to keep you in a positive situation, in control of any setbacks.


Life does not give you a chance like it gave to Evans in "The Butterfly Effect". You can't go back and change your moves, you can't try it out and change again to create a win-win situation for everyone. Even Evan couldn't, but he tried the best one possible.


How would I be if I had done things differently? Made different choices, or let others make different choices for me? How many infinite different worlds could i have on this day in this same world? Or would it be like a Goosebumps story book, where the routes are numerous, but the ends remain very few and finite? So, even though I would have made very different choices, I would still be where I am...

2 comments:

  1. I have wondered about this too. I don't know if the ends would be finite or infinite, but isn't it the route that matters more? (Maybe not in a Goosebumps story.)

    And on the other hand, I have sometimes wondered whether in a parallel universe or just in another planet far away, there lives someone just like me, going through the same events, doing the same things, and even thinking the same thoughts at every point in time. Hmm. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. The route matters, to some extent. But like a maths problem, if you finally get to the same solution or end up at the same problem, then well, the route goes out of the window.

    I don't want to imagine a parallel universe, and a parallel me! I think one is enough for now :P

    ReplyDelete